Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Still too wet to plant! (part 2)

I made the mistake of trying to do a bit of weeding in one of my flower beds yesterday... ICK! This bed is right next to the house - it's mostly clay (the only spot in my yard) and I have not added nearly enfu compost to do any good.


hard to miss the large WEED out my livingroom window!
I know better than to walk on wet soil, and even more on such saturated CLAY soil. Ugh... I don't think this bed will ever dry out!


I cautiously took a step onto one of the pathways in the bed, "not too bad", I thought, so I took another step and sunk in about an inch! YIKES!! Ok, since I was already committed, I pulled some of the weeds that were impeding the view from the front window. Oh, I need to get that LARGE one pulled in front of the window... Get out of the flowerbed dumbass! I walked around to the side of the bed - on the walkway - and started in again, pullling weeds and ripping out clumps of soil (clay) which was really making a mess... but the weeds are getting out of control!


even the smallest weeds leave big holes!

I finally restrained myself, disgusted with not only the weather that allowed the weeds to take over, but now my bootprints that would most likely be permanent features in the muck, and the new clay craters that now dotted my beds.

I have decided that this bed is getting ripped out and revamped with a nice straw-and-compost mixture to try and break up the pottery vault in the front yard.



In fact, putting in a Straw Bale garden may be the best way to go this year. This is a great project that not only creates a unique raised bed, but also allows you to plant pretty much anywhere you want!

Check out my next post - I'll tell you all about it!!



If there was one bright spot in all this chaos, the sun was out and I happend upon this little snake sunning among my sedum.








Oh yea, and then there is the rabbit who has decided that my flowerbeds are his personal buffet. This is the first year I've had bunny damage of any kind! I welcome the critters as they do a great job of keeping the dandilions cut down, but they are now eating more than just weeds! Aw, hell.


"Hewoe, Wabbit"  (that's my best Elmer Fudd)
Part 3 will be posted soon, so check back for STRAW BALE GARDEN information!

PEAS OUT!
~GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)