Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Not much in the garden right now... but we're getting there!

slug damage on bok choi leaves

This Spring has been expecially brutal on greens... the slugs have taken over! I've been picking and squishing as I do not use ANY type of pesticide (organic or not) on my veggies. The only things that have somewhat survived the slimy carniage are a few bok choi and some peas. Not a bountiful harvest by any stretch of the imagination, but better than nothing! I don't mind a bit of bug damage - if the bugs are eating good, so will I!

12' of potatoes! (48sqft)
On Wednesday, the weather was nice enough (in the morning) for me to get my potatoes and a 2nd round of lettuce in my raised beds. It was perfect planting as it rained later in the day giving the newly planted seeds a big drink.

I planted a few different varieties of lettuce (romaine & looseleaf), and 4 varieties of potatoes. The lettuce will be ready in 30-40 days and the potatoes will be ready later in the summer. The potatoes - Yukon Gold, Red Pontiac, Ozette, Rose Finn Apple are all mid-season potatoes and perfect for fresh eating. I hand cultivated the soil, nestled the spuds down in the soil and covered with a wonderful yard-debris compost. I can't wait to harvest these lovely spuds!
Yukon Gold Mine!

I will continue to hill up the potatoes until the soil is about 4" shy of the top of the raised bed.

PEAS OUT!
~GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)