Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Friday, May 20, 2011

Nothing makes me happier... than a freshly tilled garden!

I was beginning to wonder if I would EVER get my garden tilled! A bit of luck and this little stretch of 70deg weather was just what we needed to get the garden ready to go.

650sqft - freshly tilled and ready to plant!
Most of the garden was in weeds, but I managed to sow some cover crop over about 1/4 of the garden last Fall. This grew into a nice dense mat about 30" tall which prevented the weeds from growing. I mowed it down earlier today then had it tilled under (thanks again Bill!!).

See that big pile on the far side on the garden? I had started a few compost piles about 5 years ago in the back corner of the yard... yarden debris, grass clippings, old potting soil... they finally made their destination to my garden! After Bill tilled the garden, he scooped up all the finished compost and dumped it in the garden. As I put my veg starts in the ground, I will add this compost to the planting holes and mulch around the plants with it as well.

All we need now is a bit of warmer weather (especially the nighttime temps) and I can get all my warm season crops in the ground!

This is what it looked like last summer...

my composting operation!


... and this is what it looked like this afternoon!


The hens were really excited about the fresh soil to dig in and took care of the bugs and worms left on the surface after the soil was removed! I'll be moving my compost bins back in this area and finally get them off the grass!

May your garden produce a bountiful harvest this year!

PEAS OUT!
~GP


No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)