Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chick to Traeger in 8 Weeks **WEEK 7**

April 10 - 16 (week 7)

I added a second 2gal fount to the pen; at this point they're eating 50lbs every 3 days, so that warrants additional water, too! I cannot stress the importance of FRESH WATER EVERY DAY.



With me working full-time and the weather not being cooperative, it hasn't been conducive to outdoor activities so the chickens have not been out in a couple weeks... too bad, I think they like being out on the grass! I keep the pen clean as they spend all their time on their bellies - they waddle to-and-fro, but I do make them stand to eat and drink, cause it's the only exercise they really get!

Contrary to what I've read, I also have not had any "pecking" with these birds. The radio has been on 24hrs/day from the start and I think it really does calm them and make them happy.  I have had no cannibalism of any sort and am glad to not have to deal with that!


Look at them - they are HUGE now!! From what I've researched, dressed birds (slaughtered) will weigh in at about 4 lbs. I think mine are about there!



Next week they will be in my freezer!

Week 7 complete and all is well.
Count: 26 birds

PEAS OUT!
~GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)