Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Chick to Traeger in 8 Weeks **WEEK 5**

March 27 - April 2 (week 5)

March 28th was a big day!
It was the first time the chickens had been outside and the outdoors and green grass! They didn't seem that impressed with it all, but enjoyed being out on this beautiful Spring day, nibbling on the grass and waddeling around.



I fenced off an 6'x6' section and put water out for them - they wouldn't be out long enuf to need their feeders.
This was also a surprise event for me... how the hell was I going to get 26 chickens out of my greenhouse and onto the back lawn? AH-HA! I have a 15gal trug tub!! I packed 4 chickens in that tub - that would be 6 trips to get them out and 6 trips to get them back to the greenhouse... WHEW!! That was a workout! I never had the need to pick them up, but oof-da! they are HEAVY for only 5 weeks! At least a couple pounds each...



My other hens weren't sure what to make of this racket!

WR hen curious about what's going on in HER yard!

Our 2nd field trip out was on March 31st - which happened to be Easter. Once again I had to get out my blue tub and make 6 trips out and 6 trips back! It's worth it - I really enjoyed raising these birds so if makes them happy, I'm happy! Luckily we had a couple days of good weather that allowed the chickens some "turf time".

3/31: Realxing on a pleasant Easter day!

Hard to believe this journey is already half over... I called the butcher and made an appointment for April 22 (that is 2 days shy of 8 full weeks).  He was surprised that I still had all 26 of my birds. He said that usually you loose birds within the first 10 days and that if I still had all my birds now that I would most likely be bringing him 26 birds... We'll see!

Week 5 complete and all is well.
Count: 26 birds

PEAS OUT!
~GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)