Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

While you're waiting for things to thaw out...

... you should be planning out your garden and selecting seed to be ordered; hopefully you've made your "wish list" so the next time you go your local independent garden center, you know what seeds to buy. Trust me - it's like grocery shopping - if you don't have your list, you'll buy WAY too much. (I make it sound like a bad thing, don't I?)

Typically, over buying seed isn't necessairly a bad practice. I over-buy, but I also plant for myself, family & friends, and also for The Wade Creek House. I also double-plant for critter damage - some for them, some for me! This will be my first Spring with chickens & they like to jump the fence, so row cover will be my best friend this year I think!

Most seed, when properly kept, can keep for several years. Do your research before purchasing a bunch of seed!

PEAS OUT!
~GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)