Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Trying to beat Mother Nature... again

Even the yarden art is waiting for Spring!
Winter 2008
So, yes, on Jan 23rd I did plant peas (4 different varieties), spinach, chard and a lettuce mix... the weather was SO nice, it was sunny and I really couldn't help myself...I even saw a Ladybug out sunning herself in the backyard (watch out for the chickens!) and the weatherman was NOT predicting 20 degree nights. It seemed like a good idea - trying to replicate last season's early harvest. But even with a double layer of row cover, the East wind that ripped thru here Monday night combined with the low-to-mid 20s temps the past 2 nights put the kabosh everything I'm afraid. My dreams of "make my neighbors jealous because I'm harvesting fresh peas in April again" were blown away with the East wind and are now somewhere over Guam. Oh well... I don't mind keeping the local seed companies in business! Looks like we'll be back up in the 50s tomorrow and no overnight freezing temps, so here we go again!  : )

I guess if nothing else, hopefully this cold has killed the GINORMOUS mosquitoes that over-wintered. When you see skeeters the size of sanitation trucks so early, it's a good bet to buy large quantities of Benadryl stock.

With that said, the Groundhog did not see his shadow today and predicts Spring will come early (funny, 'cause Spring has been here since the 1st of the year) and a small consolation for those going thru 'snowmageddon' for the 6th time this winter. But Groundhog Day also means that the Plant Shows are just around the corner!!

I keep a running list of yearly events that I do not miss, the first of which is the OAN Yard, Garden & Patio Show at the Convention Center here in Portland. It's the happiest place on earth next to Disneyland! See below for my list of my 'not-to-be-missed' yarden events.

So, my plan is to post on a weekly basis on Wednesdays... so far I'm 0 for 2, but whatever... my blog, my rules. Watch for updates, postings & pictures on what's going on in my yarden.

PEAS OUT!
~GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)