Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Monday, December 14, 2015

You Never Know Who's Watching

It's funny how people say "a picture is worth a thousand words" yet in in the same breath "the photo does not do it justice". So is it actually worth two-thousand words, or only 500? Hummm...

I love taking pictures - especially of flowers and bugs. For years I was using this little Olympus point-and-shoot camera that took AMAZING pictures - the BEST camera I'd ever owned. I took thousands of pictures with it and created 2 full-color garden calendars with it's help. Sadly it was damaged and I upgraded to another Olympus camera. It was still the point-and-shoot style, with many more features, but unfortunately picture quality was not one of them. I blame it on my ability to properly operate the camera (or read the owners manual), but I was so use to just snapping a photo with ease I soon became frustrated with it all... enter the smart phone. I can't believe I'm saying this but my phone was taking better pics than my new camera - UGH!! See, it all comes down to ease and efficiency!

I periodically post some of my favorite pictures on my blog to share with you. I think one of my all-time favs is on the site now - honeybee taking her "pollen bath". It's all about right place & right time... with my smart phone!

A fun thing happened to me last fall; Dorling Kindersley (DK), a publishing company in London, England contacted me about some of the pictures I had posted here on my blog. I was both shocked and flattered that they were interested in possibly using one of my photos in a new publication they were working on... WOW! Talk about friggin' cool!

After several months and emails flying back and forth I was pleased and honored to learn they had selected one of my photos for inclusion to their March 2015 publication Biodynamic Gardening book. It's just a little picture of some dried spinach seed (on page 192), in the "collecting seeds" inset but I'M PUBLISHED!!!!!  WaHoo!!! I even have photo credit!  : )

Sometimes it's about being in the right place at the right time, and other times it's just about being out there. Do what you love and love what you do... cause you never know who's watching.

PEAS OUT!
~GP


No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)