Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Friday, October 31, 2014

Kraut for All - All for Kraut!

Call me Mary Jane! (that whole farm-girl thing...)

I made sauerkraut for the first time Thursday... we'll see how it turns out.   : )

I was at Spicer Bros Produce in Oregon City last week and was shocked to see the biggest cabbage ever! I eat cabbage all the time... fresh, sauted, steamed, roasted, there is always both green and red varieties in my frig!

Being a lover of kraut, but never attempting to make it myself, I took the challenge and bought the 15.26lb monstrosity.  I found a recipe on wikihow and started the endeavor.




I purchased a glass crock specifically for this task at World Market ($14.99), with rubber mouth seal and stainless top. The neck is smaller that the body of the crock, which is a bit of an issue but I made it work. I would recommend to buy (if you don't already have) a crock with no 'neck'.

It took me over an hour to slice-and-dice the beast, but we have kraut - should be done in time for Thanksgiving!! Will let you know how it turned out...

PEAS OUT!
~GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)