Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Monday, April 4, 2011

Look at the Bright Side...Good Snow Pack!

I guess if nothing else, we shouldn't have to worry about drought this summer! The amount of snow the Cascades are getting right now should put our minds at ease. Ridiculously cold and wet, but hey, Welcome to the Northwest!

I have been delinquent and not posting like I said I would... to tell you the truth, I was in Palm Springs for a week (had to dry out my feet for awhile) and I have been busy with events at The Wade Creek House. I will be better about it... I like blogging to myself so it's okay!
"Buff" showed off her home to guests on Saturday!

** So, for those of you who attended, you know what I'm talking about... the 1st Annual Chicken Chat & Local Coop Tour hosted by The Wade Creek House was a total blast! What a great event, and we're already gearing up for next year - mark your calendars for next April! Check out all the events and workshops - click on the schedule and tour the website.

I finally got my bulbs planted. Yes, I said bulbs... Daffodills and Tulips to be exact. I kept them in cool, dark storage all winter so they put on minimum growth. Now that they're potted up, they will take off - and bloom well into the latter part of May! I love Daffs and they make me smile, so when I tried this little trick last year, I was pleasantly surprised to have the bold yellow King Alfred Daffodills shining brightly after everyone else's were done for the season! I planted over 600 bulbs yesterday so there is pleanty to go around.

   Daffodills: King Alfred & Dutch Master (both dark yellow)
   Tulips: Apeldoorn (red), Darwin Hybrid (mixed colors)
* the above bulbs are $6/gallon pot
   Tulips: Parissima (white), and Queen of Night (black) are $8/gallon pot
They will all be available at The Wade Creek House starting Saturday April 9th.

So, I have not yet cleaned out my greenhouse... which means that I have not yet started any of my seeds... which means that I had better get my butt in gear so you can come out to The Wade Creek House and get your tomato, pepper & tomatillo starts! (The weather sucks -I'm ready for Summer!) This is the perfect opportunity to get out in the greenhouse and clean it up.

I have stacks of pots and planting trays which I reuse endlessly until they barely resemble a planting aparatus. I have been asked if I wash/sterilize my pots between uses. No, I don't. If you have a disease issue, it's a good idea to wash them in a 9:1 (water to bleach) solution. I do make sure the dirt is all out before I store them for the winter, but that's about it. It's up to you how clean you want to be!

Have a gardening question? Ask the Garden Purl!
I'm here to help  : )

PEAS OUT!
~GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)