Gardening Proverb:

"To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Thursday, March 10, 2011

I don't like beets, but I grow them anyway

Never have been a fan of that big red thing that grows in the garden, then bleeds all over your plate at dinner. I think I must have been traumatized as a child by them, 'cause really, I can't remember a specific time when it all came to an end for me. I grow them for my mom - she likes the root - I like the tops.

Some of the varieties they have out are pretty cool - Chioggia is a fabulous heirloom with red & white rings (looks like a bullseye), and Golden beets look like, well, like gold! (The tops are great steamed or in salads; I even mix a bit with lettuce or cabbage and use it in tacos or burritos.)

Do you grow fruit or veg that you ultimately don't eat because you (a) don't like it or (b) grow too much? Try preserving it or if you don't want that hassle, donate it to your local Food Bank! This is the time to really think about what you'll be growing in your garden. Take the time to "grow an Extra Row". It really doesn't take much space.

Last year I planted one of my 4'x6' raised beds with string beans, beets, lettuce, and cucumbers. I harvested a BUNCH of produce - way more than we ate - about half of which I fed to the hens. Next year that extra harvest will go to the local Food Bank. Think about it - it's a good thing!

PEAS OUT!
~GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

My list of Yarden Events that you need to check out!

February: Yard, Garden & Patio Show (Convention Center, Portland)

March: Plant Nerd Night (check out Mike Darcy's calendar for date/location)

April: Gardenpalooza (Fir Point Farms, Aurora); Annual Chicken Chat & Coop Tour (The Wade Creek House, Estacada)

May: Spring Garden Fair (Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Canby); Annual Garden Event @ The Wade Creek House (Estacada)

July: Cracked Pots @ Edgefield (Troutdale)

August: OAN Farwest Show (Convention Center, Portland)

September: Gathering of Gardeners (Village Green, Cottage Grove, OR)

October: Apple Tasting @ Portland Nursery (50th/Stark, Portland)